Friday, March 17, 2006

Going Back In Time


I’m the self-appointed genealogist in my family of origin—and I’m passionate about it. I began, in 1995, by going back to Iowa where I was born and raised ,to begin to research my ancestors. I presumed that my Iowa roots were peasants who had come from rural Europe in the 1900s, perhaps through New York, and then directly to Iowa to farm. That was absolutely not true. Many of my ancestors had followed the migration of early Americans—they moved after the previous generation died—farther west where they hoped for cheap land and an easier life
Since I began searching for these people, I have made several trips to the National Archives in Philadelphia and New York, the New York Public Library, the historical societies in Meadville, Pa, Algona, Ia,, Manchester, Ia. I’ve spent weeks in Devon, England, Counties Carlow and Waterford, Ireland. In some of those places, I have discovered gravesites that I didn’t know existed, stood in the old church in Carlow, Ireland where my great grandparents were married, and have received artifacts from a genealogist in Oregon with invaluable handwritten notes done by a long dead great uncle.

.In the intervening years, I have found out what are ( to me ) some other interesting facts.
• all 8 of my lines were in this country well before 1900
• some were early Americans, immigrating before 1750
• all 8 lines were English, Irish, German and French ( Huguenot )
• my ancestor, Isaac Bolster, tried to kill James II , was convicted of treason in Devon, England, then shipped to Boston after years of hard labor in the Caribbean
• my Irish ancestor, living in Iowa in the early 1900s, took his successful diving horse act on tour to England (including Victoria’s court ) and the World’s Fair in St. Louis.
• my English ancestor and his family were shipwrecked in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in late 1835.
• my German ancestor, Casper Dull, ( a Philadelphian ) was a captain in the Revolutionary War, and was probably in Valley Forge during Washington’s encampment there.
• my English ancestor, James Lawrance, was tailor to King George III.

Well, this last item is my newest excitement in this painstakingly slow process of finding all the pieces of my past. ( I think these folks were so busy pioneering that they didn’t record much—and certainly there was no one person who passed it on from generation to generation. )
So, you’re thinking, what’s the big deal about James Lawrance? Two years ago, I went to London armed with the fact above, that he had been tailor to the king. In fact, there was an added mention in a note I found that James’ house was in the shadow of the palace. Romantic, huh?
I was fully prepared to search the census in London for folks who lived near Westminster Abbey. I took the tube to the Archives, filled out the proper forms and finally was able to speak to a researcher.
“ I need the census for Westminster for 1830 and 1833, please.” The clerk listened with a good bit of disinterest ( even though I told her I had come ALL the way from America. )“There aren’t any census records until after 1840. You’ll have to figure out which church they attended and get baptismal and marriage records there.”
I was deflated, knowing full well that there was a church on every corner of London in 1830. “He was tailor to the king,” I said, a little edge in my voice. “Madam, there were several tailors to the king. You simply must know more.” I walked back to the tube making a mental note to find an honest, reliable British researcher who could do some digging for me. I certainly wasn’t going to have the time or, probably, the local knowledge to find James.

Fast forward last month. Every once in awhile, I do a search on one of my ancestors on the internet just for the heck of it. Sometimes, I get lucky and find something new. I queried James Lawrance, and found out a small tidbit, then was directed to the British Research Association. I had been scammed with an Irish outfit before I went to Ireland, so I was leery. But, when this researcher told me her credentials, and that the fee would be quite reasonable and for a specified period of time, I agreed.

Yesterday, she emailed me her findings.” I HAVE FOUND JAMES LAWRANCE, TAILOR, IN ROBSON’S COMMERCIAL DIRECTORY FOR THE YEARS 1830 AND 1833. HIS TAILOR SHOP WAS AT 14 PARK PLACE.” So, the story was true. Thank heavens for the commercial directory that listed all London businesses. He was tailor to George III, and not a bad address, near Westminster Abbey, and the old St. James Palace that had stood for centuries on the edge of St, James Park.

Somehow, when I find out a piece of particular family history about these folks that places them in the history of their time, it thrills me, makes the period and their humanity come right off the page they occupy on the family tree.

I’m compelled now to find more about James, to go back to London and discover what is now at 14 Park Place, and perhaps, find James’ family home, church, the street where he lived. And it all started with a little note that written long ago by an uncle I never knew, sent to me by a researcher who knew it was pay dirt to me and confirmed by Hannah, the British researcher. Quite a chain of events, wouldn’t you say?

Oh, by the way, James immigrated to Cleveland, Ohio, with his wife and 8 children. As an older man, he joined the spiritualist movement, was a channeler of the dead, and wrote a book: “Angel Voices from the Spriti World”( see book cover above ). Who knew?
M.C.

No comments: