Sunday, April 09, 2006

O'Henry's New York Stories from a Yellow Cab



"Lincoln Center, please." I got in the cab quickly, checking my watch.
"How do you want me to go?" The driver, turned and looked back at met throuh his Buddy Holly glasses.
"I'll leave that up to you," I said, thinking how rare it is that a New York cab driver asks.
"Oh, thanks a lot. Put the pressure on,"
" Come on, now. I was trying to give you the power, here," I said, laughing outloud.

Turns out, this cabbie has been driving the streets of New York for 25 years, and loves his work. We talked about the poetry reading I was about to attend, and my writing.

" I'll check out your blog," he said, scribbling the web address on his clipboard. "You know, there's a woman cab driver who has a blog. And she's good. You should take a look at it. She's always in the same garage I'm in. Told me the other day that she has a book deal."

I did take a look at her blog. What great material--New Yorkers! Take a look. www.newyorkhack.blogspot.com
( BTW, apologies for the sideways cab--couldn't get the software to right it! )
M.C.

No comments: