Saturday, July 29, 2006

Bright Light, Sunsets...Still Waiting

Sunsets every clear night. The sound of the ocean as a lullabye. Light so bright that shadows reveal sharp edges, everything seems luminous.

My time here as been mostly retreat. As I've told you, dear readers, I come here to be quiet, see some friends, do some reading, walking, and, of course, try to increase my running distance. Last night was the only night I went out with friends--and stayed out until almost midnight. Amazing. Sometimes I think I'm losing my edge when I go through these ascetic periods. But all I can tell you is that I come out the other side refreshed and renewed ( if not more playful! ).

I've read a terrific book during this time. The Royal Physician by Per Olov Enquist, a Swedish author, is a great intrigue about, of all things, Denmark's monarchy in 1770. The story, based on an actual Danish king, is really about the Enlightenment, greed, power, sex and torture. Need I say more?

Tonight I visit a good friend from college ( The College of Saint Teresa where the honor society was called The Burning Bush--now, I couldn't make that up ). Ann was a Fullbright scholar after she left CST, and we've kept in touch all these years partly because of our similar beginnings in Iowa. She's now counsel for Wells Fargo. We haven't seen each other since she came to Iowa to see me ( and mom ) while I was visiting my mother before she died in 1999. That's the kind of friend she is. That Saturday night, she and I had the dubious distinction of closing Sunnyside Country Club in Waterloo, Iowa. A highlight to be sure.

Tomorrow, back to New York to see if I'm a new grandmother yet. It's time. We're all waiting. There it is again. Waiting.
Hmm.
M.C.

1 comment:

Becca said...

It's so good to be back reading your blog ... always so "atmospheric" and calming (and well-written) ... and with the recent pace of life in Pittsburgh, I need calm! Blessings!