Wednesday, July 05, 2006

A Special Kind of Ivy



Philadelphia

For the last couple of weeks, things haven't been going my way.

My decision to do some rehab before I start training for the New York Marathon resulted in more pain after the treatment than before I began. As a consequence, I've had to postpone my training schedule until my body heals.

Then, a couple of days ago, I began developing a rash on my left arm. I didn't pay much attention to it until I realized that it was spreading. I figured it couldn't be poison ivy because I wasn't tromping through the woods. That's before I knew that poison ivy climbs. Yup, I got poison ivy from a very benign-looking vine that was wrapped around a large, fallen tree limb that I was dragging to the woods so the lawn guys could mow. The rash is everywhere--all over my arms, legs, face and neck. I look like a leper and feel like there's something crawling on my skin all the time. Heat and sweating make it even worse. So, I have given up the idea of training for the marathon for at least a week.

Every once in awhile, the universe raises it's ugly head and says: you're not in charge. Guess it's my turn.

M.C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hot water is the only thing I've found that relieves the itching. Run very warm water over anywhere that it itches for as long as you can stand. At first it will itch worse; hang in there, and soon the itch subsides and will stay away for hours at a time. Even Dr. Weil recommends it. Also, don't hesitate to go to a dr. if it doesn't get well fast; sometimes steroids (topical or internal) are required for bad cases. Unfortunately, I am an expert on this subject!