Saturday, January 13, 2007

Hans Brinker? I Don't Think So.


New York

This week has been one of those January weeks that I really, really hate. OK, so it hasn't been THAT cold. And I'm sure somewhere I was taught that adversity builds character. But, Mmmm, I'll say it: I've had all the character building I need for now.

For the record, I know about the metaphor of winter offering the opportunity for the growth of the soul--the possibility to use the image of a stark silhouette of the lone tree in a snowy plain to meditate on the important things in life. I can't imagine anything I'd rather NOT do right now. Just get me through this miserable month and find me some sand, sun, and water!

So, my tonic was ice skating in Central Park. Sounds easy enough. Well, signing up for the classes was easy. Until Wednesday night arrived, the first truly cold night we'd had since early December. I bundled up like a mummy. As I rode over to Wollman Rink, I asked myself the same question I usually ask before I try something that is unfamiliar--but keeps life interesting and challenging. What were you thinking?

I picked up a pair of skates at the rink, laced them up, remembering Byrnes Park in Waterloo, Iowa, the first skating rink of my childhood. I had lovely new skates that I kept in their box, red wool skating socks that I folded over the lip of the skates. I loved those skates. I would beg to go to the rink every winter weekend. Sometimes, Brenda Winslow ( a very good skater ) who lived behind me, would come along. There was a warming shack with a couple of snacks that was always packed with "the big kids", the din of their voices bouncing off the tin walls. As the sun was setting, my mom would pick us up. I'd lumber over to the car on the front of my skate blades, digging in to the snow covered ice toward the parking lot.
Back home, I'd slide into a warm bath and thaw out my still cold feet.

Now, those were the memories that led me to try skating after...after...after 30 years. I wobbled on the front of my skates toward the rink. "Where are the lessons?", I asked the ticket taker. He pointed to the far end of the ice rink where there were about a dozen people teetering uncertainly on the ice. It might has well been in Brooklyn.

Slowly, I began moving, my right hand within reach of the wall for support. I mostly walked around the perimeter, trying to remember about balance, reminding myself that I had just completed a marathon, and certainly there must be some transfer of skills and strength to this sport.

Lucy, a bouncy blonde, twenty-something, was my teacher. She actually thought I could move backward on skates. She even thought I could do spins. I think she figured that after trying those moves, gliding along in a parallel line and risking a little speed would seem easy.

I spent most of the 30 minutes trying to stay out of my classmates' way. And then we were on our own. "See you next week. Practice", said Lucy as she skated backwards effortlessly heading for her next class.

I slid tentatively toward the center of the rink that I was sharing with 50 other skaters, some of whom clearly had had many, many lessons as they glided, one arm behind them like Hans Brinker or an Olympian.

First circle--not bad; didn't fall and actually maintained some speed and balance.

Second circle--better, longer glides.

Third circle--oh, my, there's the skyline of Central Park South glittering through the bare trees. I guess that's the advantage of keeping your head up.

Fourth circle--Now this is starting to feel like Byrnes Park--moving along without thinking about the various big body parts that might fail. Guess I've got time for a couple more spins before my jazz club gig later tonight.

Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea.

M.C.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize with the cold. Here in north Idaho we've had a biting, bitter cold spell. Every time I leave the house it feels as though I'm being slapped in the face. Nothing for it... I grit my teeth and squint into the wind, looking forward to milder days. Keep up the great blog!