Saturday, May 26, 2007

Living Unreservedly



New York

Two days ago, I was starting to load the car for my return to New York when the doorbell rang. "Flowers for you," said the delivery man with a grin.

I took the big bouquet into the kitchen and put it on the counter, admiring the mix of red roses, lilies, and sunflowers. The card read: " Stop and Smell the Flowers." No signature.

So, I called the florist, Mike. " Would you tell me who sent me this beautiful bouquet?" There was a long pause. " It came from FTD, he offered. You can call them, but I don't think they'll tell you."

I called FTD. Alicia answered my call. "I'll have to call the customer and see if it's alright. I'll put you on hold," she said in a cheery voice. "OK," I said, feeling slightly intrusive. Alicia came back on the line. "They're not answering. Do you want me to try again later and give you a call back?" I thought about it for a second. "No. No, that's fine. I think it's not important."

And it wasn't. The important part was that someone, in their busy life, trying to muddle through ( as we all do ), did a not-so-random act of kindness.

I packed the vase full of flowers carefully in the front seat of the car, and headed for the turnpike. Every time I glanced over, I smiled, felt graced, my faith slightly restored.


I was reminded of a quote from Dietrich Boenhoeffer, eminent German theologian. He wrote it from a Nazi prison in July, 1944, shortly before he was executed.

In his letter to Eberhard Bethge, he said:

"I have discovered lately, and I’m still discovering right up to this moment, that it is only by living completely in this world that one learned to have faith. By this-worldliness, I mean living unreservedly in life’s duties, problems, successes and failures, experiences and perplexities. In so doing, we throw ourselves completely into the arms of God, taking seriously, not our own sufferings, but those of God in the world. That, I think, is faith."


And, to the anonymous human who took the time to remind me to be still, hold beauty in my hands
--My deepest thanks.

M.C.


P.S.
James, author of Scottcorner.com wrote a inspiring and beautiful comment to my post of May 22. Please take a look at it. And, James, thank you for your insight--and the Russell quote.

No comments: