Thursday, September 27, 2007

Are You There?








I began this blog on January 1, 2006, with the first entry from St. Barts. At the time, I remember thinking to myself--what you write here has the potential to be seen by anyone in the universe. That, of course, has its good points and its bad.

Since that time, almost two years now, I've developed a readership. Some readers comment ( all of which I post unless they are totally inappropriate ) which is great because it informs my writing, lets me know what resonates, how close I've come to a universal message, transcending a personal opinion.

I started tracking readers a year ago so that I could gather research on trends. And I am constantly amazed at the consistency of readers from all over the country--California, Tennessee, Rhode Island, Oregon, Minnesota--and actually all of the midwestern states. More puzzling are the hits, sometimes random, sometimes not, of readers from all over the globe--Japan, France, BVIs. They often log on from a Google search to a specific topic ( Jack Welch and Michael Bloomberg got lots of play )--then tend to read several other posts after they get to the site.

I can tell from the server not only geographic location which often tells me whether the reader is a member of my extended family or a stranger. And I can tell the specific business/professional website information about the user, often by name.

And then there's this piece of anecdotal information ( which I find fascinating )--11am apparently is the time across America when everyone takes a break from their morning routine ... and some check out my site. That timeframe gets the most hits every day of the business week.

There's the personal side to posting, too.

Writing into the ether time after time, week after week, is like a Swiss yoddler standing on the edge of the Jungfrau and belting out a couple of hollers without hearing the return echo.

Last week I was in Baltimore for a meeting with a journal editorial staff to plan 2008 journal topics and which I would be assigned to write. There were other writers and editors there from publications like Christian Century,U.S. Catholic,Trustee.
After the first meeting, a writer whom I had met at a previous meeting came over to say hello. "I want you to know, I really like reading your blog," she began. I smiled but truly didn't remember even telling her that I had one. " Thanks," I said, awkwardly.

The return echo in the flesh. She added: "I especially like it when you write about your mother."

It's always nice to get feedback. But to have another writer whose work you respect offer a compliment is the highest form of flattery.

So, when I'm yoddling in the middle of the night ( sometimes my most productive time ), I'll be more certain going forward that someone might be echoing.

Even if it's a silent one.

M.C.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I enjoy your posts. Didn't know you could track like that. My favorites are the ones about your family. Though my children are women and younger, the experiences are so similar. My journalist was married 2 years ago, and planned long distance. We had a blast, I'm sure you will too! I also enjoy the recaps of your races. I am amazed and impressed with your drive and commitment. Keep writing, we're out here reading!