Monday, April 14, 2008

A Little Music To My Ears



New York

Sometimes on just an ordinary day, you get a glimpse of "getting somewhere". Yesterday was that kind of day for me.

For two years, I've been taking Ethan, my grandson, to the New York Philharmonic series for 3 to 6 years old. It's part of the orchestra's outreach program--a new offering--that was sold out practically before it was made public. Actual Philharmonic Orchestra members participate in the program rather than students from Juliard or other talented musicians (which New York is full of ) .

Whe you arrive on Mendel Hall, both a practice hall and, now post renovation, a small concert hall, the musicians are already there, playing their instruments in the lobby, in front of the stage, and on the mezzanine. Greeters hand out crayon boxes and two flash cards ready to be colored with the day's theme. ( Yesterday it was the difference between "agite" and "de la calme" because we were listening to Ravel. ) Children are encouraged to sit down and listen, dance, sing along before the program begins--with the very musicians who will be on stage.

Prior to the series, each child is sent a CD with the music for the season. Last year, it was Vivaldi's Four Seasons; this year, it is a mix of Ravel, Sain-Saens and Offenbach--all memorable melodies, and superb classical music. Intertwined with the music is the story of Phillipe, a young penguin, and his young life. Last year he was lost in the cold with out his mom. This year, he has been captured by an octopus, and is awaiting ( we hope ) rescue by a narwhale. The story is ready by an older woman who reads from a black binder, as the live musicians provide the musical "score" for the story. Not bad to have Offenbach as your background music--perfectly timed to the events of the unfolding drama.

The best part is to watch Ethan, and see him relax into this experience over time.

The first time we went, I showed him to our seats--first row balcony, aisle seats--for which I was thrilled! He, on the other hand, wouldn't go farther than the balcony door. Why? He heard the bass player with its deep, scary sound--and wouldn't go any closer to it. So, he and I sat in the back row, thanks to some lovely people next to us, and we shared their seats, doubling up the children.

Yesterday, though, the patience paid off. Ethan marched to our seats ( the same ones for two years now ), and reminded me that Philippe needed to get home to his mom, and away from the octopus, and couldn't wait for the story to begin. During the pre-performance, he sat right up front, next to the violinist, and answered her questions.

After the performance, the musicians again mingle with the children. And they do the most wonderful thing--they let each child who wants to, play tiny ( but real ) string instruments--just their size. For the past two years, Ethan has been very clear about NOT wanting to play an instrument.

Until this year. He and I stood in line with the other children and parents, waiting his turn to play the tiny violin with the tutelage of one of the orchestra. As he got to the front of the line, he gave me one of his "I-don't-know-if-this-is-a-good-idea"
looks. "Do you want me to sit down with you to play the violin?" He nodded, and plunked himself on my lap ( a lap that was sitting in the smallest possible chair in New York City ). The musician tucked the violin under his chin, put the bow in his other hand--and Ethan moved the bow back and forth... ever so slowly... until he made the scratchy sound all beginners make. But it was music just the same. Certainly a big accomplishment for him.

On the way home, I told him about my grandfather's violin that I have displayed on a high shelf in the living room of my house.

"I know, Grammie," he said, in his most grown up voice, nodding his head to one side for emphasis. " I remember seeing it when I was there--maybe a week or ten ago." He's still 41/2 in so many wonderful ways.

I don't care if Ethan ever becomes Heifitz or Yo Yo Ma. I do hope for him the gift of understanding music and the richness it brings to everyday life. That was my hope from the beginning.

Interestingly enough, when I was thinking about it later, I realized that both my sons are, actually, involved in music--one via MTV, the other doing editing for Sony for years. I like to think that this is my contribution to my grandchildren's love of the classics. It's like learning Latin--you may not be able to speak it on the subway. But it sure comes in handy when you're trying to figure out the origin and meaning of words.

This little series on Sunday afternoon have become our special time together, set apart from family time. It fills me with real joy to be there, sharing in a subject I know pretty well after years of studying and performing classical piano. It's a joy to introduce my grandson firsthand, watching him uncover this vast world of music--and share in that organic discovery with him. Watching his face during these performances is sheer joy.

We all contribute differently to our grandchildren's lives. As for me, this little moment in time? It was Ethan contributing, participating, deciding what to do with this opportunity.

For me, it's one of the best parts, and, perhaps, most important part of grandparenting--watching the unfolding.

Just watching in the wings.

M.C.

1 comment:

Linda said...

What a lovely story. I have recently found out that my first grandchild will arrive this fall, so exciting! Thanks for the reminder to find something special to share with these wonderful children.