Tuesday, May 27, 2008

It Pays To Be An Early Riser


Philadelphia

I woke up to the first light of day. I was hungry, and, well, stiff from my lap swim in my newly opened neighborhood pool.

I wrapped up in my terry robe and fuzzy slippers against the morning chill and went downstairs. I could hear cardinals, doves, titmice singing their morning song. Usually I would turn on CNN and find out what had happened overnight, sipping my Earl Grey while I watched. This morning, I didn't.

Instead, I opened the door to the breezeway, balancing my mug of steaming tea with one hand. Just last week, I had prepared the breezeway space, my favorite summer space. The whole area measures probably 12 x 24. It has screen doors that face slightly northwest and southeast, and provide a wonderful breeze on most days. The furniture is simple: a rattan rocker with fat cushions  in a cream and taffy stripe. And two director's chairs of solid maple, the seat and back covered with a big peony print. I've had the directors chairs for 20 years, an inheritance from my Aunt Jean. I sat in her breezeway in the very same chairs when I was so small my feet didn't touch the floor.  It's my sanctuary.

Soon, the quiet sounds of morning's start was broken with the caw of several crows who were flying around in the woods. Up in a huge maple tree, maybe 25 feet off the ground, and next to the stream, I could see the shadow of two very large birds.

I ran inside to get the binoculars ( is this beginning to sound like I'm getting old...) and waited. The crows stopped, but the birds perched high above stayed put on the high branch, and all I could see was their wide girth and brown-black feathers. I slipped out the screen door, figuring they were red tail hawks. I've got many of them in the woods and meadow beyond. 

One of the birds turned toward me, his yellow eyes and little ears a surprise. I stood still and kept my binoculars on them until they flew away. Back inside, I curled up under the lap blanket and leafed through my field guide. A barred owl, I mumbled to myself. No, too large. Screech owl, I thought, they like woods and streams and are prevalent in the northeast. No.

The great horned owl. " 25 inches long...hunts at night...likes streams and woods...steals other birds' nests and is a fierce predator."
Yes. That was it. So, it's now in my log of birds I've spotted in this little bit of country splendor.

Nice way to start the day. Nice way to herald the beginning of the summer season. Not bad at all.
M.C.

No comments: