Friday, July 04, 2008

Patriotism ..At the Beginning





Philadelphia

Dear Readers,
I have been on my own sabbatical  for the past few weeks. I attended a weeklong writer's workshop, the first time for me; and have been completing a writing assignment for a journal that will soon be complete. And, I needed a break from the demands of writing for the blog which I consider a wonderful task but very time-intensive. The good news is that my creative writing has definitely benefited from the writing I have done the past three years--as has my professional writing. So, I accomplished one of my major goals in beginning this blog: to discipline myself to write at least two to three times per week over an extended period of time.

I'm not sure where this creative writing workshop will take me vis a vis this blog, since I am committed to continuing to write for publication in creative writing journals during the coming months with some material I am completing. But for now, I'll be posting from time to time as I see, hear, think, dream of the future.

Here's a favorite treat for Independence Day, 2008. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It's just a tease though. For the whole poem, go to www.Poets.org

A gift to us from Longfellow 

Paul Revere's Ride


Listen my children and you shall hear
Of the midnight ride of Paul Revere,
On the eighteenth of April, in Seventy-five;
Hardly a man is now alive
Who remembers that famous day and year.

Happy Fourth!
M.C.

No comments: