Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Free To Be



New York

Everyone knows intellectually that each child in a family constellation is an individual with his or her own special gifts, characteristics, and, of course, personality. In fact, in my family, I am always amazed that my siblings( both of whom are older) even came out of the same womb sometimes.

So, it is no surprise that Edward, my second grandson,well, is different from his big brother, Ethan, who is special and a delight in his own right--and my first grandchild. Recently, Edward and I have been going to the library--our version of Grammie Time. I pick him up after breakfast and slowly, ever so slowly, he gets on his shoes and jacket while nestling in his dad's chest. I think Edward may not be a morning person. We walk four blocks to the bus ( although he was negotiating hard for the stroller ) and he hops on, the steps easily 10 inches each-- a real stretch for his small legs. By the time we reach Central Park West, he is starting to warm up to this adventure, commenting for all the fawning elderly women on the bus about the tunnels that we sweep under on the trip across the park. Along the way we see a front loader, a fire truck, its siren blaring, and an ambulance. "There's somebody in there, Grammie. And they're sick." Edward doesn't talk necessarily to see what I think. He makes a statement, a conclusion. I find it amazing.

We get off the bus at Madison and 79th. Edward is carrying his yellow felt bag decorated with a duck face and stumbles off of the bus muttering to himself about the books he wants to get on this trip.


As we cross the busy 79th street to the library, I point out the flower boxes near the library. "Do you think the flowers smell good"? I asked. " Maybe," he replied somberly. The box of purple pansies with tiny yellow centers was his first smelling test. We saw ( and smelled ) rhodedendron, too, along the way.

There was no one else in the children's room of the library when we arrived. "What kind of books do you want to take out today," I queried. In his husky voice, he replied: " About submarines, Grammie. And...boats." For the next hour, we selected and read at least ten books that fit his nautical theme.

When it was time to go, the librarian smiled warmly as Edward hiked his precious books up to the counter, his eyes lowered shyly when she talked to him. Six books were stamped and handed back to him.

And we were off to get the bus again, have a snack, count the tunnels on the road that traverses Central Park back to the west side.

" I really had a good time, Edward," I said as I held his hand while we walked along Riverside Drive. " Did you have a good time?" Looking straight ahead, he nodded.

I'm hooked.
MC

1 comment:

Linda said...

I enjoy your grandson stories. Mine is only 7 months old, and I can't wait to take him to the library, ride the bus and smell the flowers. Thanks for giving me a preview of the adventures that lie ahead for us!