Sunday, October 25, 2009

Who Knows Where The Time Goes...


New York  

Dear Reader, 
It has been weeks since my last post. Life right now offers me so many things to write about, it is difficult to stop long enough to comment on any of them. I find myself savoring them and frantically jotting down notes. In gratitude.
I continue to work on my writing at Sarah Lawrence. Every week, I gather with 12 other writers, men and women, and our (ponytailed) writing faculty at a conference table in Bronxville and sometimes read, sometimes write, sometimes
just listen. 
I continue to be dazzled by all that Manhattan's richness: At the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Vermeer's The Milkmaid, an 18 inch wonder that was loaned by the Dutch museum in Amsterdam to celebrate the 150th anniversary of Henry Hudson's sail down the Hudson River right past my backdoor; Robert Plant's quirky black and white photographs of unvarnished America in the 1950s--not portraiture or Adams' landscapes--but people, just people living our culture from coast to coast. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's performance at the new NYU theater of Othello ( he could read the NY phonebook and I would show up! )

I continue to be dazzled by the importance of the arts in my life: art films like the new wonderfully written and performed An Education; or the new, stunningly written Gates at the Stairs by Lorrie Morris. Both are smart stories about young women who are coming of age and grappling with the universal question---What the ....?

Writing is consuming much of my time right now. So, if I am absent for longer periods, don't' give up on the site! I'll be back with more stories, more insight...maybe even a manuscript or two!

In the meantime, enjoy the abundance of the arts that is at our fingertips wherever we are.
M.C.


No comments: